Tuesday 20 December 2011

SQL Server Restore - Filestream feature is disabled

I was trying to restore a database in SQL Server 2008 and got the error: Restore failed... FILESTREAM feature is disabled.  It was annoying because I was able to restore another database no problem, but this particular one I couldn't restore.

After much Googling, I figured out how to enable the file stream.  There are two steps:
  1. Open SQL Configuration Manager, click on SQL Server Services on the left hand pane, and then right-click SQL Server on the right hand pane.  Select properties.  On the FILESTREAM tab, check off all three options.  OK out of the dialog and restart SQL Server. (Right-click and select restart).
  2. Run the following in SQL Management Studio:
EXEC sp_configure filestream_access_level, 2
RECONFIGURE
After that, I was able to restore the database.

3 comments: